5 Ways Mosquitoes Can Be Harmful To Your Health & Why You Should Treat Them With A Professional Pest Control Company
Mosquitoes live in a variety of environments, particularly near standing water, and typically become a nuisance during warmer weather. Here are five ways that mosquitoes can be harmful to your health and why you should not wait to call a professional pest company for a pest control mosquito treatment:
- Mosquitoes Can Carry Malaria: Malaria is a serious disease that can be deadly and is spread almost exclusively by the mosquito population. The disease itself is caused by a parasite called Plasmodium, which uses mosquitoes to travel between different humans.
- They Travel Well: Mosquitoes don’t respect quarantine laws. If a mosquito from a disease-prevalent country decides to fly over, or hitch a ride, into a new territory, that mosquito can begin the spread of infection among a new population.
- They Spread Animal Diseases: Mosquitoes can spread animal diseases to humans. One good example is the West Nile Virus. The virus traditionally effects birds, but can be passed on to people when a mosquito bites an infected bird and then a human.
- They Infect Children: Babies and children have an immune system that is still developing and may not be ready for certain major illnesses spread by mosquitoes. Unfortunately, mosquitoes do not care about the age of their victims.
- They Can Turn an Isolated Incident into an Outbreak: There are many blood borne illnesses in existence and most of these illnesses can be transmitted through the mosquito bite.
If mosquitoes are a problem in your area, you should wear long sleeves and insect repellent during the warmer months. You can also protect your home by calling a pest control expert for a mosquito treatment.