How To Install Harwood Floor Panels With The Nail Down Method
There are several methods for installing hardwood flooring. One of the widely used techniques is the nail down method. For those who want to learn how to do this method, you should read this article as it will give you tips for doing this technique.
There’s no simple or straightforward technique than this method. Unlike other techniques wherein it requires you to be a professional carpenter, the nail down method doesn’t ask you to be a pro. Anyone can do this as long as you can swing a hammer and have a strong will to try new things. Moreover, you need to be willing to read and understand the instructions carefully to get the right outcome.
Things You’ll Need
Before anything else, you need to know the tools you’ll use for installing hardwood floors. These tools are a broom, a dust pan, claw hammer, a cutter knife, carpenter’s crayon, an electric drill, hardwood flooring nails, nailers, rubber mallet, and circular saw. Once you’ve got what you need, you may proceed to the next step.
Prepare the Place
Apart from the tools, you also need to prepare the place where you’ll install the hardwood floor panel. You need to remove the furniture and other things that may obstruct your work. If the fixtures are attached to the floor, you have no choice but to panel around them. Yes, it’s not the easiest thing to do, but you have to do it if you want to install the floor panels correctly. If you have an old hardwood floor, door sills, baseboards, or carpet, you have to remove them as well.
If the surface is cement or lumpy, you have to use a felt floor liner to cover it, then install a plywood subfloor on top of the liner. Once everything is in place, you may start installing the floor panels.
How to Install Hardwood Floor Panels
- Put the first-floor panel in the corner of the room where you want to start your flooring. The grooves should face the wall while the tongue must face the room.
- Start placing the panels in a row formation. If the last piece doesn’t fit, you may use the crayon to mark the panel to know where to cut it. Use a circular saw to cut the floor panel. Be careful when cutting it; make sure that you cut it at the mark so it can perfectly fit the surface.
- Grab the drill and create little pilot holes. These are where you’ll put the nails once you fasten them.
- Get the extra panel that you cut off and use it as a start point for the next row. It may seem odd, but it will result in a perfectly installed floor panels.
- Continue the procedure throughout the remaining rows. Use a rubber mallet to make the boards and rows nice and cozy. You can use the claw hammer if the mallet won’t fit.
- The last piece is the trickiest part, but you have to measure and cut it to ensure that the last panel fits.
These are the things that you should do if you want to install your hardwood floors. However, if you’re afraid of making mistakes, you can hire a service that installs hardwood flooring Guelph. With these companies, you don’t need to install the panels as they’ll do it for you.
About the Author
Niv Jericho owns a store, which sells hardwood floors Richmond Hill. He’s also an expert when it comes to choosing and installing floor panels.