How To Remotely Access Router With Netgear Genie Setup
Netgear Genie Setup is an app that runs on both desktops and mobile devices. It is used to maintain, set up, as well as troubleshoot your home or office network. Basically, the app provides a dashboard having different sections namely Network Map, Speed Test, Parental Control, Guest Network, Wireless Settings, and Tools.
By using this genie app for Windows, Mac, Android or iOS, one can get the following advantages:
- Modify network name and passcode easily.
- Handle, maintain, and keep a watch over guest network.
- Change network settings as per your requirements.
- View all connected devices to your network via graphical map.
- Set up live parental controls for your kids.
- Perform a speed test for your home or office network.
- Live stream music and movies at any time without buffering.
- Perform WiFi Range Extender Setup with ease.
In addition to this, one can remotely access their home router using it. Don’t know how to do so? Well, we have got you covered.
Let’s say you have a wireless router already installed in your house and you need to access it immediately but you are far away from home network. Let us tell you that it is 100% possible with genie app. In this how-to article, we will make you well-versed regarding how to use Netgear Genie Setup to access router in a remote manner. Allow us to explain in details.
Access your Home Router Remotely
It is just a three-step process to get the job done. Read on.
Create a Remote Access Genie Account
In order to utilize remote access feature of app on your PC, you have to create an account. Post that, register your home router with the account you made. Here are the steps to do so:
- Download the latest version of your router firmware.
- Install the app on your computer.
- Use a wired Ethernet connection or WiFi one to connect your PC to the WiFi network of home router. It is the same process you perform during WiFi Extender Setup.
- Next, open the app by clicking on the icon in Windows taskbar.
- Go to Router Settings.
- Choose Remote Access from the appearing menu.
- Hit Sign up link and make a new account of yours.
- After doing so, click on Ok button.
Confirm your account via the email you receive. Once done, register your home router with your Netgear account.
Register Home Router
Walk through the instructions below to get the job done:
- Connect your PC to WiFi network of router.
- Hit icon resting on your home screen.
- Choose Router Settings.
- A menu will appear. You have to select Remote Access.
- Click Ok button.
Congratulations to you. Your home router is successfully registered with your account.
Remotely Access Router
To do so, you need a wireless or wired PC, newest version of genie app, and a web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Here’re the steps:
- Download app on remote computer as well as local desktop.
- Once done, open it.
- For logging in, choose Remote Access.
- Click Ok button.
- Hit Router Settings.
Now, you can change and manage wireless settings. As soon as you are done with changes, click on Logout and exit Remote Access.