5 Ways To Add Character And Personality To Your Home
One question we get asked a lot here at Homer Project is how to give a house character. We all love the older houses, full of personality and rich with history. Yet, few of us enjoy the prospect of looking after a decaying older property. Instead, we opt for new builds and modern houses, but bemoan the lack of personality! How do you inject character, warmth and excitement into a purpose-built boxy home?
Well folks, the answer is simple, but you’ll need a little creative imagination. The trick is to project your personality onto the house. Use your likes and dislikes to create a home that feels like yours. What you’ve bought is a shell. It’s a blank canvas just waiting for your creative input. In this quick guide, we’ll show you how to add character and personality to any home. Let’s take a look, shall we?
- Fire – There is no better way to add warmth and character to a house than with a natural flame. You can start with candles that provide a romantic flicker of light throughout the home. Turn the main light down low, or off completely and you’ll instantly add the warmth that was missing. Personally, we like to go a step further. A working fireplace is a must in our home. Install one upstairs and you’ll create a luxury bedroom! More than that, we love indoor chimeneas. They feel rustic, so they add that sense of character you’re looking for.
- Follow your passions – Don’t be afraid to show your personality throughout the home. Follow your passions and let it shine through in your house. Love books? Put them centre stage in your living room with a grand bookcase or book stand. Love music, records and vinyl? Why not frame your favourites and hang them on the wall. Get your hands on an old record player and make it the focal point of your favourite room. Let your interests and passions shine through.
- Artwork – There are few better ways to put your stamp on a place than artwork. Art is a very personal thing, unique to you and your tastes. Start curating a host of your favourite artwork and frame them professionally. They’ll make you smile and draw emotional responses every time you see them.
- Wallpaper – Painting the walls can often feel quite lifeless. Even with interesting colours and bold accent walls, there’s not much character creeping through. With wallpaper, however, you can really make a personal mark. Wallpaper is much more artistic and full of character. Better yet, you can choose a personal design or a mural. We stumbled upon a great website for this; you can see all wall murals here and choose your favourite.
- Use rustic furniture and finishings – Your new-build home may be an empty shell, but look at it as a chance to fill it with rustic items. Use accessories and furniture to add the character that is lacking in the building itself. Find your next local flea market and hunt down old fixtures and furniture with tons of history and character.
Adding character and personality to your home is easier than you think! Use your personality as a starting point and see where it takes you.